Sunday, April 2, 2023

PALM SUNDAY: The other Baptism of Jesus


 Palm/Passion Sunday - Apr 2, 2023; Mar24, 2024; Apr 13, 2025 

I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! -Luke 12:50


Each Sunday we’ve been looking at the baptism of Jesus. But up to this point we have looked at his baptism in the Jordan river by John. But already in that Jesus was marching towards another baptism: death. When its asked of Jesus if James and John could be on his left and right when he is in his glory, Jesus asks, “Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?” (Mark 10:38). That story came right on the heels of Jesus’ third passion prediction in Mark. Jesus knows what awaits him: death.


Today is Palm Sunday, and a common tradition is to read the entire Passion story on this day. I always think of this scene in the musical Jesus Christ Superstar! where Jesus enters Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and as the people are singing “Hosanna hey sanna sanna sanna ho sanna hey sanna Hosanna” with all these people singing in jubilation at his arrival all of the sudden the crowd start to sing “Hey JC, JC, won’t ya die for me?” before returning to singing those hosannas. While the people are just singing with joy Jesus is being invited to die.


And therefore the first death of baptism is Christ’s. Baptism seems quite painless, but only because he bore all its pain. And yet, today, we hear that on the way to Jerusalem Jesus was in distress until he accomplished it. In the middle of his sermon Jesus gives us a hint of his own heart in regards to his death. This baptism would keep him in distress (lit. afflicted) until it is finished. 


And then, of course, from the cross just before bowing his head and giving up his spirit Jesus cried out, “It is finished.” And it was. After he rose from the dead he went to the disciples and gave them the Great Commission. His baptism was complete. Now our baptism could begin. 


My baptism would mean nothing, Lord, had you not undergone the baptism of death. But once you cried “It is finished!” then all the work of salvation was done, and now my baptism lets me die with you, rise with you, live with you. Now I am forgiven, saved, and remade. Turn my whole faith towards the work you did for me this very week all those years ago. Baptize me in this story. Amen.


This post is a part of my daily Lenten devotional on Baptism. You can read more about it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment