Friday, March 24, 2023

LENT DAY 27: All Aboard the Baptism Coaster


 Day 27 Friday - Mar 24, 2023; Mar 15, 2024; Apr 4, 2025

Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself. -Acts 2:38-39


The first time I ever went to Six Flags amusement park I recall very clearly standing in line with my older brother and another friend of ours (who was a year older than my brother) for two hours to ride the Batman roller coaster. I remember it clearly because after two hours I came to the front and the worker took a look at me, stood me up against the post that says “you must be this tall to ride the ride” and told me - to my utter anguish - that I was about an inch too short. And soon after we found that to be true for one thing after another in the theme park. There were, for the non-kiddy rides that is, very few coasters that I could go on. It was a real disappointment.


In some corners of the church, this same message is pushed regarding baptism: you must be this tall to ride. In this case, it’s not about safety but believing one must be able to profess themselves believers in order to be baptized. But the message is no less upsetting, and in some families it is downright hostile. 


Therefore I share this passage with every family prior to a baptism. Peter is explicit: “the promise is for you and for your childreneveryone whom the Lord our God calls”! That is God’s great big sign that says “No height requirement to ride this ride”. This is no less important for adults than it is our children. It not only says that our children should be baptized, it says that if we were baptized as a child that is absolutely in accord with God’s word, and most importantly that whether you are baptized as a child or adult, baptism is the sharing of a promise. “For the promise is for you and for your children…” It reminds us how much this is about forgiveness and grace; about the gift of the Holy Spirit. When it is about God’s promise and call to us, it really is about God’s choices - not ours. 


And if it wasn’t plain enough, God made his choice for you when he sent his Son for your salvation. Baptism should always proclaim that choice.


And can it be? That I should gain? I cannot fathom the power of your love Jesus. But in baptism I can receive it; as can my child; my grandchild; the little one brought to church this week who I have never met before. Praise be your name for every soul you promise forgiveness and the Spirit to in baptism. Amen.

This post is a part of my daily Lenten devotional on Baptism. You can read more about it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment