Sunday, December 30, 2012

Armchair Book Review - "Even Death"

Hope all my readers had a great Christmas. Christ the Savior is born!

Among my gifts this year was the book Even Death by Wade Johnston. The book is published by Magdeburg Press and can be found at their website. I took some of my down time while out with my family to read the book, and after finishing it decided this book needed a little free publicity courtesy of me. I rarely dig into religious fiction, usually because the theology will at some point frustrate me too much. And Lutherans don't regularly show up in main stream publications of novels, so ya have to find more obscure books from more obscure publishers like this one. I actually came upon it and added it to my Christmas list when I was looking at Magdeburg's newest book which I also received for Christmas, Then Fell the Lord's Fire by Bo Giertz. Another fantastic book with fantastic essays and sermons from Giertz (focused particularly on the office of ministry). But if there is a such thing as a Giertzian Lutheran, I am one of them, so of course it is wonderful.

Back to Johnston's novel. The book's synopsis is listed on the publisher's website, but I'll offer my own as well here for those too lazy or more curious after reading the publisher's offering, but I'll do my best to avoid any real spoilers. The premise of the story is four Lutheran pastors from America who were college buddies do a bit of a reunion vacation and tour historically significant sites in Germany. Four terrorists hailing from I believe it is three Middle Eastern nations (Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq) learn of the pastors' trip and plan to kidnap them and make them profess Allah as the true God and Muhammad as his true prophet (a confession known as the Shahada). The book also follows the authorities, led by two GSG 9 Agents, as they try to track down and stop the terrorists.

For those wondering, since Lutherans are oft inclined to ask, the book never specifies what flavor of Lutheranism the pastors are. However, based on the publisher, the strong German heritage of the pastors involved, and various hints from within the book it suggests a more "conservative" synod, likely Missouri or Wisconsin. My favorite quote supporting this theory is, "We're confessional Lutherans, not the kumbaya kind." Now while many ELCA pastors like myself consider ourselves confessional, the comparison is the key. Even those who consider themselves of a "confessional" brand while ELCA one would then have to wonder who the "kumbaya kind" is referring to. While it could be an internal comparison (I myself know some "kumbaya kinds") here it seems to be an synodical comparison, and if the ELCA is not the Kubmaya kind I'm not sure who would be. But that is about as close as the book comes to identifying the synod (through the liturgy presented one could perhaps come to a firmer answer), and as an ELCAer I can say it plays no real role. The book is certainly good and accessible for all Lutherans, in theology and presentation. There is room for this book for non-Lutherans too, not overutilizing Lutheran tribal language outside perhaps the beginning when they are touring these historical Lutheran sites, and so Lutheran history is mentioned. But theologically speaking, while it certainly comes from a Lutheran perspective, it is presented in a manner that will be acceptable to many other groups, especially those closer to Lutheranism in theology or practice.

While not overly theological, that is, it is still a story and is not concerned with theological reflection in every scene or chapter, it still has tons of theology expressed. For those looking for that either simply because like me they enjoy it or one is considering this for a church book group the book has it. I mean so much could be taken alone from my favorite quote in the book, "I wasn't baptized; I am baptized." Along with presenting the theme of faith under persecution the book has many small theological pieces that find their way in here or there including baptism, confirmation, the divine service, prayer and psalms, using the catechism, theology of the cross, and ultimately (as the title indicates) even death. The issues are deep and serious, it takes a very real and honest look, not using theology in some simple fix but engaging the complex reality the characters find themselves in. Quite appreciatively also is that the theology is not simply playing a role in the story of the pastors, but the surrounding characters, including the Muslim and non-believing ones.

As a piece of literature, the story was good. I got the book on Christmas night (Tuesday) and finished it Thursday night/early Friday morning. It held my attention, and was a relatively quick and easy read (coming from someone who does not reckon himself a fast reader by any measure). The author pulls off a very difficult style of 3rd person narration. For those wondering, 3rd person narration does not necessarily come in a single form. It can be 3rd person but really only follow the main character and everything still essentilaly comes from that character's perspective (the Harry Potter series is almost entirely done this way, never telling us something Harry does not know, and only in about four or five chapters in the entire series presenting a scene that Harry himself does not witness), there are styles that are more omniscient and Even Death employs one of them, this one while omniscient will often through a scene focus primarily on a single character, but it jumps from scene to scene as to which character the narration is focusing on. This style is more difficult but I think very important for this book. I think one or two characters are a bit too type cast and the author fails to deliver on presenting them, but for the most part was able to bring each character to life. This was most important perhaps in bringing the book's villains to life. We learn that the terrorists are acting for different reasons and learn a bit of the path and events that lead them to where they are. They also have different motives and faiths, while the entire act is under a radical Islamic group, it is helpful to see even the diversity in their goals, faith, and intentions. This style served the story well, which is an interesting story. Like I said, it is not just a theology book, it is a piece of fiction. It has action and a lot of building up towards what is to come next. Perhaps a bit too much foreshadowing at a few moments, but in general the book is driving one to wonder what will happen and how will the investigation unfold. For those who read with a faith background, the issue of persecution will add a personal layer as the very real scenario the book plays out will likely cause those with invested faiths to ask how they would react in that situation. This will be especially true for those who are willing to not let the "right" ideal answer stand as a facade to the very deep and real issue presented and really willing to ask it not rhetorically or as though scripted, but genuinely with an honest fear that the "If" this scenario presents could make one wrestle.

If the book fails on any level, it will be in two ways: the first is that it desperately needs an editor. I'm not sure if Magdeburg being a smaller publisher has no editor or needs to fire their editor, but the quality of simply proofreading was very poor, especially towards the end of the book which is the last place one wants one's reading to be hindered or interrupted by spelling, punctuation, or grammatical errors. We all make mistakes. I regularly find them in my own blog and have to fix them, but this is not a published material, and you are not paying to read my blog. If you are one who is overly bothered and cannot get over mistakes in published material, this book is not for you. If you are like me and can get past that, frustrating as it is, read it. The other way the book will fail will likely be how one expects the book to end when reading it. If one has a strong opinion about it ending one way or another for whatever reason, the ending might be an issue or just what you were looking for. I won't say more so as to not spoil things, but those who read will perhaps know to what I am alluding to. But as the novel went on I asked myself how I would feel if the book ended this way or that, and particularly theologically I really had to think about it. It is also worth noting that because the story is following various characters it jumps a lot, and so if one is not good at following when books do that (although it at least capitalizes the first line of the new scene to indicate the transition) or do not like books that do that frequently, again this may not be the book for you.

I think the book is quick and easy enough of a read to be a good educational tool, but one must think hard about what context would be appropriate. The book is quite graphic at points and for the most part has a very real feel to it. It's a shame that I think it is probably a bit too serious a book for confirmation because there is a particular moment in the book that draws directly on confirmation, one that might be good for discussion with confirmands as they approach their own confirmation. Perhaps with the right group of kids one could do that, but I am not sure I am comfortable in general making that recommendation. Perhaps I underestimate our young people. I definitely think young adult or adult groups could handle this book and benefit from it. Those familiar with the book Silence by Shusaku Endo may understand the benefits that can come from fruitful discussions on this struggle of public apostasy and suffering. Where Even Death does Silence one better is that it is a contemporary situation in the Western world, making I believe more real the struggle. Great group discussions could be had, so long as there is a leader ready to ask the right questions, or someone in the group willing to share how the book challenged them, disturbed them, or preached to them.

For those who love theology and church history (especially of the Lutheran brand) this book is for you. It has enough to get the theological folks excited, but it also has a solid story for the more recreational readers grounded in our contemporary world and perhaps in our contemporary fears. It brings what we hear about happening to people of faith in the non-Western world into the Western world. It happens in Germany. It happens to Americans. It happens to pastors. The book while clearly Christian does well to not simply attack the Islamic religion or make Christianity "win", instead of it being about winning or losing, or who has the better God, the very absurdity of the Christian faith is put out there. It is no crusade against Islam, but perhaps to some degree is a sermon illustration on theology of the cross. Or at least I imagine that was the author's intention.

In short: It had plenty for me to reflect on, a story and Lutheran geekiness that I could enjoy, and in general I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment